Image Courtesy: justin5mins.com
A neat and clean bathroom is a sign of healthy living and to maintain a quality living. Not just that, a sparkly and well designed bathroom can boost your home value! Application of tiles is a common yet economic practice while it eventually makes your bathroom durable and easy to clean. Regular maintenance and cleaning is a must or else soap deposits and grout stains would give way for mould and mildew.
Tidying up a bathroom is something that ranks lowest in the list but requires regular cleaning. All the mould, mildew, rust, lime and soap scum might turn a simple cleaning chore into a crusade. Only with the right products and some dedication can you bring back the original lustre and freshness to bathroom or any other corner of your home. Though requires a bit of elbow grease, follow the tips to a clean and disinfected bathroom.
- Depends on severity of mould and dirt, you may simply start spraying a concentrated cleaning solution and rub with a scrub sponge. Rinse gently and work your way from top to bottom.
- Thoroughly scrub the entire area and keep your focus on tile surface without moving to the grout yet. Scrub in circular motion and sequentially because rough movement may damage tile surface! While cleaning the edges, rub in straight lines, back and forth. Wash with warm water in the end for spotless result.
- If sediments are still clouding the surface, assume that it’s from hard water, iron component or soap remnant. High presence of iron in water would leave brown or rusty stain whereas hard water would leave green and sludgy blots.
- Spray some white vinegar and start rubbing gently. Being concentrated, always wear gloves for direct exposure to skin may prove drastic. A variety of bathroom cleaners are available with separate tile cleaning solutions. Each contains acid so you shouldn’t leave them on floor or tile for long. Meanwhile acid also corrode plumbing fixtures which definitely means you keep them rinsed.
- Clean the grout as well if they’re stained. If your grout shade is white, throw some diluted liquid bleach and let it stand for about 10 minutes before rinsing. For coloured grout, make a solution of baking soda and water, scrub in a circular motion. Try using a commercial grout and apply as per directions.
Shower wall tile
- Gently wipe entire shower walls after every bath as a rule of daily maintenance. Standing water is the primary cause of mould and mildew.
- Pour a standard quality toilet bowl cleaner; apply some on the walls and on tub as well. For best results, do this daily while gel-type cleaner works just a good. After application, leave it for almost 15 minutes, scrub with a long-handled brush for its acidic in nature. Rinse with hot water after scrubbing and your toilet would be fresh.
- Purchase rust cleaner, readily available wherever household products are sold.
- For a homemade cleaning solution, mix ½ cup of baking soda, 1/3 cup of ammonia, ¼ of white vinegar with six cups of water. Apply the solution to tiles and leave it for 15 minutes to remove soap deposits and yellow stains. Rinse afterwards.
- Car wax can be used to wax shower tiles but only once or twice a year for added protection and gloss. Don’t assume it as a common bathroom cleaning solution or you’ll end up ruining the tiles and almost entire bathroom surface.
As bathroom is one of the most used corners of a home after kitchen, its daily maintenance and cleaning is also necessary.